December 23, 2006

why john mayer will never change the world

John Mayer keeps ringing through my head lately. His song “Waiting on The World to Change” plays over and over. The tune is catchy and I find myself singing it often.

I love to try and draw parallels between various disciplines. Listening to Mayer, reading a new book called “The Long Tail” and watching the 2008 presidential race heat up has made a connection in my mind today. I, like many Americans my age, agree with Mayer when he represents my generation and says:

it’s not that we don’t care,
we just know that the fight ain’t fair
so we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change

So what if the fight ain’t fair - I think waiting is bull crap!

I know I am jaded. I know I’m cynical about the government. But I think we are aiming at the wrong target. Don’t get me wrong. Voting for the president is important - voting for members of congress is important - but maybe we are looking to the wrong place for change. There is this really big shift in the world – the rise of the micro-niche. cable channels, magazines, satellite radio, books, websites, and even retail outlets have figured out how to capture a niche audience. (see how I brought even this discussion back to medi).

Plus - globalization is on the rise. As the world becomes more global I feel that it will also become more localized. People will crave a “new village” of people, ideas, and access. While some of this localization will be geographic – I see the majority of it becoming driven by people’s niche interests. Myspace, Facebook, Youtube, and Google have made it possible to connect with people on a “local” level organized around common interests rather than location.

So what does this mean for us who want to change the world?

In spite of localization centered around interests – I feel that geographic localization will still play an important role in civic life. We need to look to effect change in our neighborhoods, towns, and cities. This is turn will organically bubble up and effect change at the national level and ultimately the global level. Our personal values, desires, and actions at the local level effect organic change that bubbles up higher. Rather than trying to change things from the top down. Bottom up change is the best change there is.

I know I’m not saying anything profound or new. I know we all know this is the best way to effect change…

…then why don’t we?

…why don’t I?

…why don’t you?

As John waits around– let’s get moving where we can with what we can.

No comments: