July 25, 2007

one morning - two things

Not sure exactly - but it was recently. I woke up one day and realized two things.

1. No one is planning my life for me.
What happens to me in this world is a direct result of the actions I take. There is nothing stopping me from doing what I want to do in this life. There is no boardroom of people I have to ask permission from. There are no kings ready to bestow their authority on me. I am free. You are free. I would be curios to hear - how do you handle this freedom?

2. My life is not leading up to something big.
Life is a marathon - but for some reason we all try to make it a sprint toward something grand. All we are really sprinting toward is death. I think this stems from our schooling years. We look forward to graduation like it is the end all of being. Then post graduation we scratch our heads and wonder why it was such a big deal. We expect that the big event of life is just around the corner. We are ever chasing - it is ever eluding.

Yes life can be exciting - life can be grand - life can be epic. But my life does not lead up to anything. I think this knowledge is really helpful. It takes me out of thinking I have to wait around for the big thing to happen. It forces me to focus on today and doing good work.

Do you agree? Do you feel like your life is leading up to something? Or do you feel that life is a journey - rather than a destination? Thoughts?

1 comment:

Biff said...

Hey Joel,

this kind of knowledge is strange...I find it has an ability to go and hide when you're too busy looking at something else, like a new project. But it always comes back just in time. The toilet, the bus, in the middle of a meeting...and it always makes me grin from ear to ear, both with relief and disbelief that I could forget such a simple truth!

~biff~